View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #871
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post
Sorry, I’m not generally going to have as quick a response time as you do. It’s nice, but it’s not something I can manage all the time myself.
No problem--I appreciate what time you can spare.

Quote:
That makes sense, but does that mean that there’s no way to call for the image to appear in the epub, but after the summary titlepage image (other than manually adding it afterwards)? As you note, one generally doesn’t want the ffnet thumbnail as the cover; but one might want to see it.
Not at this time. Epub cover convention is pretty rigid to make it work on all ereaders. I'll a note to my list to consider a way to include the cover image, but not as the cover image.

Quote:
You’re welcome. One of these days I might check out the other versions just to see how they work.
IMHO, the plugin version is the best one anyway.

Quote:
Does the default override anyway? Aside from finding left justified easier to read (which I can specify with this, or Convert books), some stories with poetry, lyrics, etc… shouldn’t have the entire body in a given justification, which I don’t know how to retain using that parameter.
One of the things FFDL does--that I consider a major feature--is force relatively consistent formatting on the text.

There are so many different formatting styles available in HTML, and they vary so much from site to site, author to author, even story to story, that it's impossible to programmitically determine which should be kept (poetry, in-line correspondence, etc) and which are just funky or even bad formatting from the source.

However, if you have specific examples that demonstrate special formatting that is consistent for at least an entire site, I'll consider trying to do something special to preserve it.

Quote:
You mentioned taking metadata requests: Could you add support for isolating what AO3 calls “Category” on the story page itself, and “Relationships, pairings, orientations” in the symbols key (F/F, Gen, F/M, Multi, Other, M/M) as its own metadata source? Currently, it’s lumped in with extra tags, but that means that I can end up with a field that says, for example: “Angst, Insanity, truly bad and wrong, F/M,” which is less useful for sorting purposes. There was a brief period where I could call it as “Category” some months ago, but now that pulls Fandom on AO3. I don’t want to a custom column set to “Text, with fixed set of permitted values”, because there are other classes of relationships I want to include from other sites without adding additional columns. If it’s not too greedy, I’d also like to request counts for kudos, comments, bookmarks, and hits on AO3.
AO3 has a lot of metadata and it was mapped with varying success into the existing buckets. Now that we have this new mechanism, I have no problem introducing additional, and even overlapping, extra_valid_entries.

I'll look in more depth before I implement it, but right off, I can see adding new extra_valid_entries for ao3categories, ao3fandoms, and ao3freefromtags. That's in addition to--and duplicating data from--the existing category and genre lists, so we don't break things for existing users. Adding the various counts should be trivial, too.