View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
SuzanneTF
Enthusiast
SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader/Kobo Aura One
It made me sad when I saw the new Sony model and then saw the Amazon model. I've resisted Kindle so long... I've never cared for the casing on the Kindle much less the software. I like how the Sony is much more suited for the reader that likes things a bit more customized (vs. relying on default manufacturer settings). However, it now appears that the new Kindle is to be matte black, simple, and rectangular. The biggest killer of Nook for me is that it seem too "squat" with ugly rounded edges. Or, a flattened turtle as I've seen it described.

Now that's all holding me back from Kindle is the lack of epub and the browsing experience.

Physically, the new Kindle is almost exactly what dreamed/envisioned could be the first time I saw articles about eBooks in my dad's Consumer Reports magazine back in the late 90s (probably Rocketbook?) I'm the kid that used those cheap dollar store booklights that drained AA batteries like crazy. On car trips at night I would use the headlights of the car behind us to read. So, yes, I pretty much think a self-lit page that is NOT backlight and has reasonable battery life is pretty much the ultimate achievement in ebook technology.

But back to the Sony model. I like that it's still the same basic shape. I like that there is matte black. Strangely, I actually preferred the T1 button style. But how could the not include LED "glow" ?!?

Then I realized that my Sony is only one year old and I plan on getting at least another year out of it. Maybe the next generation will have something better to offer. So, in truth it doesn't affect me too much. Let's see what's out there in a year. If nothing else, at least Nook vs. Kindle is pushing the limits higher and higher and Sony is going to have to keep up. So I'll probably get a lit-up Sony in the next generation. Whatever the "newest" out next will probably have to do with taking notes/social media/etc. and I'll be less distressed about going with the Sony and "missing out."
SuzanneTF is offline   Reply With Quote