View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 07:51 AM   #85
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Easy fix for any combination of acrobat/microsoft office/etc

All you geniuses couldnt figure out the simple way to kill it Go to C:\windows\system32 and rename wisptis.exe to wisptis.bak. Then create a new empty text file in the same location. Name the text file wisptis.exe.

This means that any time something tries to run wisptis.exe it'll actually execute a 0 byte text file. Notepad wont actually open, and no unwanted programs will remain running, so dont worry about that.

Benefit 1: if you actually find you do need wisptis.exe (if you decide to buy a palmtop or whatever) all youve got to do is rename wisptis.bak to wisptis.exe again.

Benefit 2: you dont need to mess with your registry, and you dont need to run files that do it for you (you may not trust a file from a complete stranger when its deleting parts of your registry).

Benefit 3: Things change. In the next acrobat/microsoft office/etc the registry keys may change location. This means youll need a new file to modify your registry depending on what versions of this crap youve got installed. My method should work no matter what versions youre running.

Side note 1: I have no idea if windows file protection / system restore will attempt to fix it on some computers. I turn most of that garbage off, but file protection is on and caused me no problems.

Side note 2: make sure youve got "show extensions for known file types" turned on, or youll have accidentally have created wisptis.exe.txt instead, and that wont work.

Side note 3: you must create the empty text file. Deleting or renaming wisptis.exe alone will make things try to reinstall themselves when you run them.

Dont try to contact me, i'll likely forget that i posted this here. So no, i can't offer tech support. Feel free to put this advice on any forum you like and share it however you like, but give me (Mark W) the credit for the info.