View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #69
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
The Good Earth was really high up there. I wonder why. I only read it a month or two ago and the text was fairly straightforward. The only complexity I could see was in appreciating the cultural/period differences, but I would have thought those kinds of concepts would be better understood these days.
Lexile measures have nothing to do with how familiar the content may or may not be to the kids. It's based (either largely or completely, I'm not sure) on word frequency and sentence length. I've seen basic, shortish non-fiction books with absurdly high Lexile scores - books about different sorts of animals, for example - mainly because they keep introducing new words instead of repeating the same ones.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote