View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Sentence Fragments?

This whole book-reviewing thing has been eye-opening for me in many ways. Based on feedback from authors, I sometimes find myself dwelling on some point, and then I post a question on here to get others' advice!

So here is my current "thing": I recently reviewed a suspense/thriller. One thing I commented on in my review was the prevalence of dependent clauses/sentence fragments masquerading as sentences. As is my standard, I put the review on Goodreads and Amazon, and the author commented on both reviews to give a little feedback of his own (which I think is a great way for an author to clarify his or her motivations, etc).

Since he did not post his comment on my blog review, I updated my review to add a bit about his feedback and a further comment of my own. Basically, he was indicating that his sentence fragments were purposeful as a technique to add to the plot of a thriller- quick, little jabs. My response? I actually really like quick, little jabs and think they add to a story such as this, but I felt many of his were more like sentences missing a noun. They didn't feel quick or little to me, they felt like unfinished sentences. I did not post that in response to his comments on my other reviews, as I don't think it's necessary or proper, but I did put it on my blog because I wanted to explain my own thoughts on it.

So I guess what I'm asking here (FINALLY, she gets to the question! ) is: Do you notice sentence fragments such as these when you read? Do you like them in stories like these, and is there a limit to how frequently you want to see them? Do they have to be short fragments or does length matter?

I guess my real question is whether I'm alone in this (or crazy).

Where I think it's not great:
She was the one that had let them down with her rush to publish. With her overwhelming need for recognition

Where I think it's ok:
The door flew open and there he stood. Tek. No smile today. All business.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 10-27-2010 at 02:17 AM.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote