View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Okay ...

I've got the "Read in"-Addin working again (sort of). But this is not a story for the faint of heart, so Linux & Mac users: cover your eyes. I won't be held rensponsible for any mental damage by reading this post. This is just for those hardened by years of Windows frontline duty. )

First, you've got to admit that Microsoft nevers ceases to amaze its users. It even enhances their abilities by encouraging them to use creativeness and unorthodox, non-linear thinking.

Right ...

So I had to uninstall and reinstall Office XP as well as my Adobe Acrobat (along with the Word-plugin) and the Read in-Addin.
After installing Office I tried "Read in". Same procedure as last time: Opening Word, Addin shows, opening any new file, Addin vanishes.

Enter Acrobat: With installing Acrobat and the Word-plugin for creating pdf out of Word, the Read in-Addin just showed up for a split second, then gone again. About the same as last night.

Now ...

I just considered the possibility that starting another Office program right before Word might create some "detour". Opening Excel. Didn't help. Opening Outlook ... ahhh, the magic was back!

When you open Outlook it pre-loads Word as an editor. But - at least on my PC - it doesn't load the Acrobat-plugin. BUT it did load the Read in-Addin. And it stays visible and stable, no matter how many files I open. I just did a restart just to make sure this isn't a one-trick pony, but I get the same result (yowza!).
Pure Word: Acrobat, but no Read in.
Outlook, then Word: No Acrobat, but I get the Read in.
Silly, plain silly. But it's working. Maybe some registry or dll guru can explain the magic behind for me. I can't.

=X=:
I gave the BookCreator a try, and I do take into consideration that I'm just too dumb to understand it. 'cause I don't.

I read through the whole thread, and I still don't know, WHAT to do, WHERE to do it, HOW and WHY. If anyone out there could give me some step-by-step manual for Word 2002 I would really appreciate it very much. I do! As I wrote above - I already took some deep look at those listed in the thread.

Last edited by K-Thom; 04-03-2009 at 12:12 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote