View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #40
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But in that case the emdash would be immediately preceded by a newline - wouldn't it?
Not necessarily. For example, Polish uses it all over:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-En...Quotation_dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I've often seen the emdash at the end of dialogue (to indicate interrupted speech) dropped to a new line, even though its coded as “Blah blah blah—” it appears as

“Blah blah blah
—”

rather than

“Blah blah
blah—”

I've never seen an ellipsis (used to indicate incomplete speech) dropped to a new line in the same way.
I've seen the em dash + closing quote on its own line. You also might run across something like this:

Original: As Mr. F—— said.
Wrong: As Mr. F—
— said.

or this:

Original: And then …… nothing.
Wrong: And then …
… nothing.

I've also seen crappy breaks like:

Original: Example Sentence..."
Wrong: Example Sentence..
."

This is where the weird edge cases come into play. So you can't just implement broad rules (break after an em dash or always break after a period), you have to take into account what kinds of characters are also in/around them.

One of the best discussions I've come across on the em dash line breaking was this post on the TeX Stack Exchange:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/60038
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote