View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I pay for the quality of the writing as well as the story. There are a ton of Indie authors out there that I do not read because I don't trust the quality of the writing. If a friend recommends an author to me, Indie or not, and the blurb looks interesting, I will buy the book. I willingly pay $15 for new releases of authors that I know, trust, and love.

The problem that authors have is getting recognized. This is where publishers help, they can help with marketing, and web sites like this one help. Authors can post here and get people to check out their work. If it is good, word of mouth should help spread the news.

So basically, I think the idea that you cannot make money writing is silly. You can. You just have to do it well and find a way of marketing your work.
Very well put Prof,

As in any other trade or profession, those who can excel do, and those who can’t must seek their path elsewhere.

Relegating publishers to the roll of marketers is another kettle of fish altogether, but it’s inevitable. The days of writers not having the resources to edit, print, bind, and ship a trainload of paper books is over. The publishers know it and are going down kicking and screaming rather than concentrating on the areas where they actually provide a needed service.

I predict that just as the bad writers will not succeed, neither will the publishing houses that don’t learn this.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote