View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
It sounds like everyone is trying to come up with some way to autodetect whether or not a certain paragraph is the first paragraph and have the formatting adjusted appropriately. I guess that makes sense since this is the Calibre-Converting forum but as awesome a tool as Calibre is, I've never had a conversion take care of everything to my satisfaction without some cleanup work beforehand.

Why wouldn't you just create a new class for any paragraphs that youu want formatted differently? Maybe I'm just missing something.

Whether creating an ebook from scratch or converting from some other format, I always use Sigil for editing and creation. If converting from some format other than epub, my first step is to always convert to epub and look under the hood. Once I get everything looking the way I want, it's very simple to convert to whatever final format you want, mobi in my case.

I use a general class called para for normal paragraphs. I use another called chapteropenertext for first paragraphs. another called paraspaceIndent or paraspaceNoIndent for first chapters after a scene break depending on whether or not it's supposed to be indented or not.

I know everyone comes up with their own techniques but this seems to be the easiest way to me. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand, er, well, at least three times...

...it's impossible to beat the one-two punch offered by the combination of Sigil and Calibre. They are an ebook creator/editor/converter's best friends.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote