View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
That's pretty neat! I like all that "alternative" belief structure. Don't color inside lines! That would fit very well here in the Bay Area.
Oh, I said "resurrection" not "reincarnation" (I don't want to give the wrong idea) -- I don't think my beliefs would qualify as "alternative" unless you get among some really fringe elements who think they're the mainstream, such as the students of UC Santa Cruz, for instance (go Banana Slugs !). I was in the South Bay (San Jose) area for ~2 years in the late 90's, and I don't think I fit in all that well. Part of why I returned to the Promised Land of Texas. It's amazing how intolerant 'alternative' folks can be if you get them in large enough concentrations -- guess that's just a human trait, rather than tied to any given philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
Quake. Oh, fine. Was having an celebratory personal anniversary date drink at an old lighthouse that is now a restaurant/bar. It is located out in the Oakland Estuary and is mounted over the water on pilings. I started to feel the very distinctive lateral shaking, it lasted about 10-15 seconds. It was what we refer to as a "roller" in that it has more of a rolling feeling than a sharp jolt. You can always tell an earthquake from the large truck or train going by in that movement in most cases will always have a lateral or horizontal component versus just the vertical/longitudinal vibration that you would have in the latter case.

We were about 25-30 miles from the epicenter which is near a little town called Glen Ellen. Interestingly enough I was looking at property up there recently. They have had a number of small quakes there recently, maybe it will scare some people out and drive property values lower (temporarily of course!) so I can move!

I was in San Francisco for the Loma Prieta Quake in 1989.
Oddly I managed to be travelling out of the state for all the quakes that happend while I was in living CA. It was pretty weird. There for a while I started wondering if my leaving was causing tremors. But then I moved, and California didn't fall into the ocean, so I decided that it wasn't me after all.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote