Thread: MobileRead 2015 Categories Discussion
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #22
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Dazrin, is your data based on the number of votes or voters? There is a slight difference due to multiple choice. I was wondering which categories got MRs excited about participating. But you are right, it does depend on what is nominated.
Number of voters. I just read the number of voters at the bottom of each poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
To be honest, I think Mims has hit the nail on the head in terms of decreased participation. The current categories lead a little bit towards literary nominations. In particular:
There are some genres that are not represented directly in the categories, such as fantasy, that can only get in "through the back door" i.e. being an award winner. I am trying hard to participate in the Book Club so I'm excited at the possibility of broadening the categories next year.
It does seem like a reasonable explanation. I know a couple people expressed that concern earlier, so when I have nominated a book I have been trying to nominate fun rather than "enlightening" (or other predominantly literary descriptor) books. Of course, it could be something completely different too.

Regarding participation, I wonder if giving more lead time would help some people join in more often. For example, I am still waiting on The Cuckoo's Calling for May from my library (it is popular, so long wait list). If we had nominations a month early it would let more people who rely on the library get their books in time. My suggestion to implement that would be to have a normal nomination period in December for the February club (since we don't need one for January assuming it remains the "second chance" category). And then just keep going 1 month ahead. I really am not sure if this would end up helping or hurting since some people have indicated they want to be able to discuss right away, but is another option to consider.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote