View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #32
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I listen to a song, and performing artists get a few cents. Everybody wins.
Everybody, or just relatively cheap to produce genres?

How's classical doing?

I can listen on Spotify to most Broadway shows for free, or hear them live on Broadway for a hundred dollars a seat. Or more. Popular music concert prices have also skyrocketed. I don't think many book authors have the option of raising their live performance prices to compensate for cheap eBooks.

Quote:
The same is true for videos.
Yes, in term of US libraries having a reduced role.

Quote:
those who refuse to adapt will simply become irrelevant in due course.
It's hard to argue with that. I guess that some types of books won't get written -- unless we can find a way to retain scarcity.

As a librarian, I think you should be all for DRM. It's central to the only library eBook system that's working at all, Overdrive.

I don't mean to imply having all the answers. I don't think anyone has a full solution for the related problems of keeping libraries strong and of allowing less affluent folks to get eBooks for free while more affluent people pay for them.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-01-2012 at 05:25 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote