View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #75
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
This ruling arose in a commercial context, between competing commercial enterprises. That's a different situation than the ordinary person is in concerning DRM avoidance, and that makes a huge difference.
True enough, but it's the only judgments we have concerning the circumvention provision, and I'm certain that if an individual case ever came up, these decisions will be considered in the arguments.
I tend to agree with you that such a case is unlikely to ever come up, but I'd prefer certainty and less grey.

Quote:
It's just like Prohibition, where you could make all the booze you wanted in your own house
Says who? Even owning the stuff to make it was illegal. People stockpiled alcohol before prohibition went into effect so they would have stuff to drink after, since the drinking itself was indeed not illegal.

So, I think you're wrong about DRM, and Prohibition too. The circumvention provision in the DMCA says nothing about a limited scope of who it applies to.

And your only offered reason for stating otherwise -- "It's a lawyer thing, you wouldn't understand" -- is worthless.
On Prohibition, at least, if you are correct, certainly you can provide some evidence, if not explanation?

I am curious, however, about the part of the DMCA that says something about the law not infringing on other other rights.....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote