View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #95
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
Ditto.

YA novels aren't super complex in presentation but topics aren't necessarily watered down.

I read HP, and Hunger Games Trilogy. Good reads complex ideas engagingly presented -not too complex method.

I am sure I had a different experience than my 10 yo daughter who blazed through the HP and HG series. She is an advanced reader and it is a challenge to find age appropriate books for here.

Point being the topics of the novels are important. Look at Animal Farm, very simple book on the outside.. very deep disturbing, complex theme/message on the inside.

What about Lord of the Flies? The Hobbit?

HG isn't a tween romance novel, so not easy to dismiss. haha

HP has been heavily criticized for its simplistic writing and language structure.. I think that just conveys both the writer's style and voice.

I dunno. Read what you like as long as you are reading.. How many "adults" read something other than a newspaper or magazine lately??
Some good points. Animal Farm is basically an allagory on communism I believe but it is also an interesting tale. Likewise Gulliver's Travels poked fun at human culture I think and even ridiculed it to an extent, but many only see the movie with Richard Harris or some other tame version. Golding left out girls on the plane for Lord of the Flies because he was certain that sex would creep in if they were included. Anyway fiction has a long history of being deeper than what many see. Look at the old fairy tales if you don't think so. Not the Disney versions, the originals. Some of it was pretty gruesome reading. They weren't meant just to entertain back then but to teach something. Take Red Riding hood for an example. Her red cloak is said to symbolize that she is entering puberty, her grandmother on the other hand is ill. We never learn from what, but it's possible she was in menepause. So Red riding hood goes off the path and encounters someone who means her harm. In the original version the wolf is killed but Red Riding hood doesn't climb out of the wolf's stomach whole. It was re-written later to be more sanitized.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote