View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfried View Post
Thanks -- but I'm looking for the files to just magically appear in my list (no fees ); I currently already hitting my web server with the Kindle browser to download the files manually... but there's too many of them and it's tedious. So here's what I've done thus far, but have one hitch (at the end).

----------------
# Path to the destination for Books (.mobi)
DESTROOTPATH="/mnt/us/documents"
SOURCEROOTPATH="<MY PUBLIC URL TO MOBI FILES>"

# Get today's date (for file retrieval)
# DON'T RELY ON KINDLE DATE, USE A SERVER HACK FILE WITH "MY" DATE...
# TODAY=`date +%C%y-%m-%d`
wget -q "$SOURCEROOTPATH/today" -O today_file
TODAY=`cat today_file`
rm today_file

# Get the WSJ
FILENAME="The%20Wall%20Street%20Journal%20$TODAY.m obi"
SOURCEPATH="$SOURCEROOTPATH/$FILENAME"
DESTPATH="$DESTROOTPATH/$FILENAME"
if [ ! -f "$DESTPATH" ]
then
echo "Getting $FILENAME..."
wget -q "$SOURCEPATH" -P "$DESTROOTPATH/"
echo "DONE."
fi
----------------
I've put this in the /etc/crontab/root file to run every half hour and restarted the service of course. So I'm now able to get all of these files PULLED onto the Kindle.

PROBLEM: they don't appear in the Kindle Home even though they're in the right place. Browsing that dir it looks like .MBP files are generated alonside .MOBI files when they're downloaded through the browser. Any idea where the script / job is that does this generation work so I can add that to my script?

Does that actually work at downloading files? I thought the Kindle can only connect to Amazon's servers, anything else is denied (web browser is through amazon proxy)? And the reason you're not seeing the files is because the list doesn't auto-refresh. You need to either manually send a command to the framework (don't know if possible), or do something like buy a book from amazon or connect and eject the USB storage.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote