View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #375
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Easier retrieving of existing covers' settings..?

Great plugin..! More like an application in its own right.. The problem is that it is so good that you quickly find yourself spending inordinate amounts of time using it..! Addictive, I would call it.

There is just one minor aspect I have not been able to figure out.

When I am browsing the contents of my calibre library and I spot something I don't like in one of my earlier efforts, I fire up Generate Cover on the book that is currently selected. The trouble is that I am presented with the settings that correspond to the last cover I viewed or created instead of the settings that correspond to the book that is currently selected.

Say, I created a cover for 'Book A' last night and now have just created a cover for 'Book B': I happen to take another look at 'Book A' again and I realize that it could do with a bit of tweaking.. So, I hit Shift+G to fire up Generate Cover.. and what I see in the 'Saved Settings' list is that the settings for 'Book B' are highlighted and that Generate Cover did not retrieve the settings for 'book A'. Instead, Generate Cover presents me with a template that uses the settings just created for 'Book B'... with 'Book A's author name and title.

Apparently, the default behavior is designed to make it quick and easy for users to generate identical covers for a bunch of related books rather than tweaking existing covers. But it makes it rather difficult to make changes to covers that were created earlier, especially when your personal collection already numbers in the hundreds.. Did I mention this software was addictive..? :-)

Is there any way I could set up Generate Cover to let me choose whether I wish to automatically retrieve a book's existing cover when there is one.. without losing the current default behavior, which I also find very useful when I need to generate identical covers en masse for a given subset — say.. Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, e.g...?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote