View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #35
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
[...]No one disagrees that a "one size fits all" really never does fit all. The point really is that they needed to standardize on something to keep support and complexity down, and they chose DOC. Why? I would guess because everyone knows word docs, and they are a much wider standard then EPUB or MOBI. But thats just a guess.
I think they chose the right approach to start with (their success to date would appear to make that self-evident), epub - and editing software that supports it - has really only been settling down in more recent times. The question I think they should be asking themselves is whether they should be expanding their support. It's not like creating epubs is writing code these days. Good clean epubs are easy, and can be checked by the author in the privacy and convenience of their own computer before being uploaded. Conversion requirements are much less than they ever used to be, and I suspect that many authors would be just as happy if their work only ever got to epub and mobi formats (the latter of which doesn't have to be a smashwords problem because many authors are apparently intentionally ignoring this capability anyway and going direct to Amazon).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote