View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
So, you’ve got a Kindle 3, and you want to read PDF files on it? Kindle 3 natively supports reading PDF files. They show in the list, and when you click on them, they open. But, something’s missing.

Most PDF files weren’t meant to be read on screens as small as Kindle’s. They’re representations of real pages, which are usually larger than the Kindle’s screen. So text comes up too small for comfortable reading. “OK” you think to yourself, “I don’t need to see the whole page on the screen. I’ll just do what I do when reading on my PC - I’ll zoom in until the width of the page occupies the width of the screen. That will get rid of the margins, text size will be bigger, and I’ll just scroll down for the second part of the page.” Good plan. Except, you can’t.
In Sony Prs T1, for example, we can do all that, but sometimes because of Pdf dimensions ratio we can not spread pages all the way in landscape mode (both, in zoom or fit-to-landscape mode).

I usually use above described methodes even if I can spread out Pdf completely, because it is quicker and easier to turn pages this way (no panning and we can use buttons) and there is no need of leaving the zoom and then getting into zoom again for annotations, drawings/handwritings, dictionary etc.

For those of us who use Abbyy Finereader 10 or 11 there is another way to crop pdf.

After Abbyy has completed its recognition we can save result as exact Pdf image with ocr in background or just pure ocr-ed text.

At that point all we need to do is to change dimensions of Pdf image from "original image size" to "custom".

To find out what custom dimensions should be, we can open saved Pdf image in some viewer, find exact width and hight of text (usually under Comments/measure/distance tool) and save Pdf in Abbyy with those dimensions.

Usually 95% of pages will be correctly cut, at exactly the text size, but some pages will be cut across the text.

To correct those pages we can open pdf in some pdf Editor i.e. Foxit Pdf Editor and manually move text on those pages a few millimeters left or right.
It takes just a couple of seconds per page with litle practice.

After that we can use k2pdfopt, virtual printer in Adobe(Acrobat or Viewer) or read Pdf as it is.

Last edited by markom; 09-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote