View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
"Rescue pack" for Voyage / Paperwhite / Touch

OK, so here's what I came up with for now:

a "rescue pack" which enables an SSH server in diags, plus a simple startup script that checks for the existence of a /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS file, and reboots into diags if it is present.

It works on my device (and should work on others), but please report back in case it doesn't.

Note: Yes, I'm fully aware that this can't solve all of the "brick situations" (it requires the main and user partitions to at least be in a "somewhat" bootable state), and that USB downloader mode/fastboot etc. would be much preferrable, but... well, until somebody figures out how to get there, I guess that this is better than nothing.

UPDATE (2015-07-05): Rebuilt to support all currently known Kindle Voyage, PW2, PW1, and Touch models.

UPDATE (2013-12-20): Updated to support all currently known Kindle PW2, PW1, and Touch models.

UPDATE (2013-03-13): Fixed a serious issue where SSH access would only work once on certain models. If you currently have installed a previous version, I STRONGLY recommend to download and install the current one.

----

NOTE: If you're looking for something working on newer devices, try the one in NiLuJe's snapshots thread. -- NiLuJe
Attached Files
File Type: zip k5_rescue_pack_20150705.zip (237.9 KB, 3385 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-06-2016 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Link to my snapshots for the wave of newcomers with Wario devices
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote