View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #44
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think that without the front light, the eInk screen will have the same contrast as the entry level Kindle without a touch screen.
Unless someone with expertise in optics can correct me, I'd assume that adding a uniform light source to any surface would result in a uniform reflectance across all regions. The blacks and the whites would both reflect 100% more light if you increased the front light by 100%. So I don't see how the front light would increase contrast as measured by a photometer.

Amazon's Kindle sales numbers are so full of smoke and mirrors that your skepticism over their technical specs doesn't surprise me. I tend to believe them for just one reason: when I see side-by-side photos of the Paperwhite and previous Kindles, 25% looks accurate, if not conservative. It doesn't look like the PW will have the same contrast as paper. All I care about is that it's better than the Kindle line's traditional greyscale display.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote