View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #195
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: Ah, the joy of building stuff by hand on a binary distro...

That's one of the reason I switched to Gentoo in the first place (that, and my uncanny ability to make rpm package managers wreak complete havoc on a system, and having only slightly less trouble with apt/dpkg ^^).

That was a while ago though, things have improved since then, on both sides (at least, I hope, for the sake of RPM based distros... ).

But yeah, Gentoo (especially a ~arch setup) has its moments, and you certainly have to learn how a lot of stuff is supposed to work to make it work/get out of trouble... But the huge multi-core CPUs of our time certainly improved the experience ^^.

On the downside, it can eat a considerably larger time to maintain than a Debian system, but I like the power/control it gives you over your setup .

Anyway, I'll keep updating the static builds, now that the 'worst' of it is done (building openssl-0.9.8), it takes less than a minute to build & package . [They're still attached in post #187, until we get a more definitive home for KindleTool (Meaning when I get the courage to start a dedicated thread ^^)].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-09-2012 at 06:05 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote