View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #8
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Perhaps, once DR1000 and DR800 new versions are released, we'll have to stop a bit and think together the way we port applications in order to work in both devices and not duplicate efforts.

If firmware is common for both devices we could have same infraestructure (common libs, apps, etc).

I'm thinking on this structure:

Code:
SD Card
    /Programs
        _config
        _base
            _bin
            _etc
            _lib
            _share
        _FBReader
        _osmo
        _xournal
        <desktop files here>
_ config would contain user personal configuration and data for the programs (a la /home/user).
_base would be the equivalent of /usr.
And each program will be contained in its own directory.
Seems a very good reasoning for the structure, I could follow that.

Quote:
This way, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and such variables could be common for all programs and the launchers could be practically the same.
I am using the -rpath parameter when linking the application, this way I do not have to set a LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. The mechanism to show application names in the TaskBar of the DR1000, 'monitors' the original application that was started, I have seen problems when using a shell-script to start an application, so I prefer starting without a shell-script.
Quote:
In fact I've already assembled common-runtime-libs for the DR800 with some of the libs the apps I ported apps use (fribidi, linebreak, art_lpgl, gnomecanvas, poppler, goocanvas, vte...). But I'll wait after the new release in order to include only needed and newer libraries.
Porters/developers also need to cross-compiled libraries, with the header files to install them in their development environment (saves some time from figuring out how to ) building yourself. So we should also think on how/where to publish them.
Quote:
I'm also thinking about my needs as a developer/porter. We could ask iRex for them.
F.e. support "Icon" in .desktop files.
Customs icons are already supported, but they need to be in the metadata.db files, in 3 different sizes if I remember well. (At least in the R1.7.1 for DR1000, I have not looked into the new DR800 code.)
Quote:
What do you think? Is it worth to create a new thread to discuss this common infraestructure among all DR* developers/porters?

Iņigo
Maybe we should have a DR development sub forum like the Iliad development sub-forum or (this will not make me popular...) rename the Iliad sub-forum, to cover both the Iliad and the DR-platform. The wiki-pages and the Dev-Hub could also be used to share information/tricks/tips.

Starting with a thread to discuss the common infrastructure would be a good starting point.

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote