View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I decided against including the descriptions in my guide for a fairly good reason: once we'll have dozens of thousands of books, this would make the guide way too heavy. The Kindle can choke on such files very easily due to the nature of the indexing process. I haven't added the description on the mobile website yet (I'm focusing on RSS for Mobipocket/ePub, and a similar download facility for RSS on the Kindle), but I'd rather redirect the user to a mobile page for the description (I already do this on the type field, if you select "Science Fiction" on the Feedbook's guide, you get to the mobile website)
Some Kindle users -- or users of some other network-connected readers -- may be happy with a pointer to a mobile page. Although I love the convenience of getting a book directly to my Kindle from Amazon, Feedbooks, or MobileRead, I do not want to turn the Kindle into a general Internet appliance. I will use it for downloading a book, but that's really it.

I really like having info available offline for reading. I've complimented the Feedbooks Guide for providing the "lists" which I have not been able to access directly on the web site. Each time I stumble over a list with my browser, I "favorite" it so I can access it later. But they're included in their entirety in the Kindle Guide. So when I saw that Alexander had included the book descriptions, I thought that was very good.

I often create simple text files with book information and transfer these to the Kindle so I have them with me even if I'm not connected to the Whispernet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
Concerning the guide, I'm simply giving my advice: I've had several e-mails of people who had troubles with their Kindle (slowed down, hanged up) after adding the guide on Feedbooks. Since your file is almost twice as large, I'd rather point out this issue pretty quickly. It's a shortcoming of the Kindle itself rather than our guides, but it's a common issue that I have to deal with.
I've never had a problem opening a large book file on my Kindle. Now, I don't have the Kindle's main storage filled up with books, either. My Kindle settings show that I have 143M free in the main Kindle storage. I also have a 2G SD card inserted with 1.8G free. Perhaps the person complaining about opening the book had downloaded *lots* of books and didn't have an SD card so they were all in the main storage of the device. It's possible that there needs to be a certain "cushion" free in main storage when a book is open -- and that cushion is more when opening a big book as opposed to a smaller one. It's worth investigating.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote