View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #412
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
They are sitting running all the time, a badly written one could chew up quite a bit of battery life. Compare that to the very controlled task switching that iOS has currently.
No, not all of them. Many of them are merely shortcuts which can help a user save on battery life tremendously. Like a widget to turn off wi-fi services. And, since Apple would be creating these widgets, why would they put out a badly written one??

Quote:
Again, compare to the current iOS setup, where all apps are sandboxed and there is no user-visible file structure.
When I buy an app, I have to choose whether to put in on memory or the SD card.
I have to choose whether its data is stored in memory or the SD card.
Do home screen icons for SD-stored apps reside along with memory-stored ones?
What happens if I remove the SD card, should those icons go away, or stay?
What happens if I have multiple SD cards with different version of an app, should they get different icons?
What happens if an SD-stored app is registered for 'Open In...' for a particular file type and the card is removed, should the app vanish from the list or stay with some indication next to it?
Ditto for different versions of apps.

None of these are rocket science, but they are all significantly more complicated than the current iOS interface, where none of these decisions exist.
Apple have chosen to hide any 'computer like' aspects of iOS from the user, in their quest for simplicity.
No, when a tablet maker adds in an SD card, they don't need to give the user the option to put apps on the card. Just the data or media. In fact there are some Samsung tabs that don't give the user this option. Apple could restrict SD card usage to simply media -- books, videos, images, and music. That's what eats up the most space anyway by far. And there is virtually no UI implication for allowing this. Not very complicated either from a user perspective.

Apple won't consider an SD card because it would represent lost revenue for them in many ways, and add to the size of the device.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 11-13-2012 at 09:48 AM.