View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #5185
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Several years ago I bought literally hundreds of books on sale, most I haven't yet read. I loved to see them in Calibre. I was a regular on this thread. I budgeted $70 a month for books and had trouble staying within the budget. A few years ago I came to my senses and have since purchased books at full price when I plan to immediately read them. I seldom spend more than $20 or $30 monthly. I read about twelve books a month, most of which come from the library or my hoard. Still, it is unlikely that I can read 900 books from my TBR in my remaining life. I don't want to read a book just because I own it. My tastes and goals change year to year.
I could just about have written this. My biggest regret is not having gone to a "just in time" buying system years ago. As with you, and I wince to say it, there are hundreds of books in my Calibre library that I'll never get around to reading, because there will always be something I want to read more. And a waste of time to justify a waste of money is insanity.

My books from the Kobo extravaganza days are not a dead loss; there are still many (many, many) that I'd like to read and it's handy to have a library rather than having to go shopping every time I'm ready for something new. But ultimately seven $2 books that are a good deal have a lot less value than one $15 book I really want, and the most precious resource of all is time. What price enjoyment, intellectual stimulation, satisfaction?

Still, I do spend a whole lot less now than I did then and my TBR is edging down, albeit slowly. Taking stock for the year so far, I've spent $9 on two books, both wishlist books whose prices were set but where I was able to use expiring promotional money to get them at a significantly reduced cost. I also see myself reading both in the near term. This is much better than a year ago, when I had a major fall in January (and February) which rather took the heart out of me for the year.

Having written this, I should probably make it a goal to read everything I buy this year, which strikes me as a very useful discipline indeed.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote