View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #80
steppe
Enthusiast
steppe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (broke), Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I wonder why KDP adds an extra thumbnail image.
You just stole my thunder as I reached a similar conclusion myself Thanks for investigating this stuff and for the detailed response. Much appreciated.

The original file with the source attached was made by KindleGen 1.2 (old version) and perhaps this is the reason why KDP tries to provide an updated cover thumbnail.

Update: Yes, this was probably due to the old version of KindleGen because if I build the ebook using the latest KindleGen (2.8) and upload that file to KDP, the extra thumbnail is not added. Interestingly, KDP fails to strip the source files this time around (the .mobi file in the "Downloadable Previewer" still contains the attached source files), but if I proceed to the next publication step (Pricing and rights), KDP does show the reduced size of the file that will be published (1.05MB versus 4.84MB). Unpacking the .mobi file from the "Downloadable Previewer" (using KindleUnpack.61) suggests that the final published file is nearly identical in size to the file produced by KindleStrip: 4,965KB minus 3,827KB zipped source equals 1,138KB. The file produced by KindleStrip1.35 is 1,136KB.

Last edited by steppe; 04-20-2013 at 08:30 AM.
steppe is offline   Reply With Quote