View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 05:37 AM   #1
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Multiple Libraries v Virtual Libraries

I have a few questions on multiple libraries v virtual libraries that I would appreciate any input on. I know there are many different opinions and preferences but I’m interested to know why you choose to manage your library a certain way etc…

I use both multiple libraries and virtual libraries, although thinking of really only using multiple libraries. I don't need to search between the different libraries. I'm probably not using virtual libraries to their fullest potential, but I can look at that later.

1. Do you use multiple libraries or/and virtual libraries?

2. How do you use multiple libraries or/and virtual libraries?

Multiple libraries - Do you use them to manage different types of libraries? I.e Books, Comics, Manuals, Journals etc...or for different reasons - To review etc...

Virtual libraries - How do you use virtual libraries? Why? List some examples.

The manual lists the following examples.

Books added to calibre in the last day:: date:>1daysago
Books added to calibre in the last month:: date:>30daysago
Books with a rating of 5 stars:: rating:5
Books with a rating of at least 4 stars:: rating:>=4
Books with no rating:: rating:false
Periodicals downloaded by the Fetch News function in calibre:: tags:=News and author:=calibre
Books with no tags:: tags:false
Books with no covers:: cover:false

3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of using multiple libraries or virtual libraries?
  • Do the multiple libraries run faster if there are less books in each library compared to having all the books in the one virtual library?
  • How easy is it to change from multiple libraries to one library with virtual libraries and vice versa?
  • My library is only fairly small (1500) compared to what I have heard some other Calibre users have (10,000 +). As people are reading more ebooks, it is easier to collect a large quantity of books and keep them, however this means trying to find certain books and managing them can be even harder. For the people with really big libraries, do you prefer to use multiple libraries or a virtual library to manage your books?

Multiple libraries

Strengths
  • You prefer to display certain columns for each of your libraries

Weaknesses
  • You cannot search through multiple separate libraries simultaneously in calibre.
  • You can only view view/upload one library to Calibre Companion (CC)

Virtual libraries

Strengths
  • Preferred way of splitting up your library when you want to search through your entire collection
  • It will restrict the list of books shown in a book list but it will also restrict the entries shown in the tag browser
  • You can view your entire library in Calibre Companion (CC) using virtual libraries.

Sorry...lots of questions...but very keen to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote