View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I am a happy man!

= X =
It looks like converting via Calibre did the trick, but I wonder why. I also notice that the default Amazon books put their covers inside the "covers" folder, not the same for sideloaded content.
Why? I'm guessing that, as I suggested above, the books simply were provided without thumbnail images; Calibre added them when rewriting the file (good suggestion, =X=).

If you want to check out such things (and are running on Windows), the Mobi2Mobi GUI I mentioned above will show you the book's cover and thumbnail images (as well as the rest of the metadata).

As far as the Android app handling covers goes, it appears that if the book's metadata contains an ASIN (as all Amazon purchases will) it always uses the cover associated with the book's ASIN number at Amazon (even if one has changed the cover image within the book itself). It puts these in the covers folder, I believe. Only if the book lacks an ASIN is the internal cover thumbnail shown (older versions of the app just presented such books without a cover) with no image placed in the covers folder.

The Kindle for PC app (which i don't use much) seems to operate a bit differently, using an internal cover in preference to the one matching the ASIN.

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-03-2011 at 09:32 AM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote