View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I found on this re-read that there's a bit too much exposition at the start and a very sudden resolution at the end.

I would have preferred to have had the characters show themselves by their actions in the time seven to eight years earlier, rather than having the detailed descriptions at the start.

Granted, that would leave the problem of how to cover the intervening period, but I would rather have a [seven years later] marker that what looks like it could have been a summary of half a book in the first chapter.

Alternatively, I would have like it to start with action, and let the past become apparent through the interactions of the characters, rather than from an omniscient narrator.

And after a very long build-up, the resolution at the end comes very, very quickly.

Still, an enjoyable re-read, even if not my favourite Austen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote