View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Eugenie
Enthusiast
Eugenie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch edition PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I'm guessing that authorizing the book using ADE doesn't work for Sony Readers...
No, I checked Overdrive's requirements. The Sony Reader -- like all ebook readers that read Adobe formats -- MUST have ADE installed; ADE is required to authorize all computers and devices on which one intends to read Adobe content, even if the device comes with its own proprietary ebook management software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
... and you have to process it using the Sony software.
Bingo! I double-checked the Help Section on the Overdrive site and I discovered that they have a specific instruction for Sony Readers: Sony's own Reader software must be used to transfer the ebook to your Sony device. If you use any other software to send the ebook to your Sony, the Sony won't open it. (I assume Overdrive made some legal agreement with Sony.)

Overdrive does not dictate specific ebook software for other several other ebook readers (Nook, Kobo, etc.), only for the Sony. I assume these devices don't have their own proprietary ebook management software as Sony does.

So my question is now answered. This is not a flaw in Calibre; it's a restriction imposed by Overdrive. There is nothing to be done but accept it and use Sony's software to import my Overdrive ebooks, OR to apply a DRM-removal tool to them.

Thank you to everyone who contributed and who tried to help me out with this one.
Eugenie is offline   Reply With Quote