View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #27
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivacious View Post
Hi, are you talking about hiding our non-US IP address? I went to surf for more info on changing my non-US IP address to a US IP address. One website I found was http://www.how-to-hide-ip.info/2008/...se-with-us-ip/ . With this method, I wonder how successful we are able to download ebooks from B&N outside US and transfer the downloaded ebooks on our PC to our Nook via usb? Anyone has any idea?

Another issue is, even if we manage to hide our IP add, are we still able to buy B&N ebooks with a non-US credit card?

BTW to answer your qn, I think it is possible to read Dutch books. The reader will support any language so long as its English alphabets.
Indeed I was using the alwaysvpn to hide my IP-address. The reason I am using alwaysvpn is that I do not want to send my credit card details using a free proxy or free proxy website. I trust a paid service like alwaysvpn more.
And because you do not pay an expensive monthly subscription it is very cheap.

You can of course download the books to your PC and use USB to send them to the Nook. But I did not need to hide my IP-address to download the book from the B&N site. So you should be able to use the wifi connection to download the books directly to your reader (this is also mentioned in the Nook FAQ: you can use wifi abroad to download books you have already bought to your reader).

I used my Dutch Visa credit card to pay for the book. With an USA address as billing address (in this case my Borderlinx mail forwarding address, but any valid USA address should work). Just like Fictionwise B&N does not verify the billing address at the credit card company.

I like the fact that with this reader I can keep on buying books at Fictionwise (I am a buywise club member). And can also buy books at other stores that use ePub, like Dutch bol.com and the UK stores.

I am convinced there will always be ways to circumvent geographic restrictions at stores like Fictionwise and B&N. And even if that would no longer be possible, at least with the Nook you can use all ePub bookstores.

Last edited by geertm; 10-21-2009 at 06:53 PM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote