View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
thanks Antoinekamel

silver18, it is very easy to make it control the page turning with the volume buttons.
also, this will not just work for paperwhite, i could make it work with k3 and k4 too.

to use the application, there are a few things that need to be done first.
your kindle needs to have usbnet, it needs to be wifi based), and you need to have xdotool placed on your kindle (i place mine in my usbnet folder on my kindle... very lazy)
the android phone has to have the ssh private keys for the kindle ssh server on the sd card.

it is very simple to control the kindle with just the android volume keys, sure.

at the moment, the app i made does not have much functionality, as in...

the page turning forward/backward script it hardcoded, this is easy to fix, i can make text boxes that you can type in, and save those commands if you wish for later.

the buttons that trigger the actions are hardcoded, i use KEYCODE_BUTTON_5, which i doubt many phones have a button for that. i then use a program called BluezIME, which handles the bluetooth input, and in that program you can link a bluetooth controller's buttons to buttons on the android device.
so, in my case, i link a button on my controller to KEYCODE_BUTTON_5.
when i press that button on the controller, my device thinks that 'button5' is being pressed. i could make it so that a button on the controller is linked to the power button, volume down, etc etc.

one issue is that android will only check for input when the app is active on the screen.
if i want to make it so that input will be taken wherever i am, say, i am checking my emails on the phone, basically, it cannot be done.

and it seems to me that the screen of the device has to stay on whilst i want it to accept input, maybe this is not true, but, it makes sense... why would it bother worrying about input, when the screen is off.

what would be nice is to have a combo box where i can select the button input that i want to trigger each command, i can implement that if enough people want.

(what would be nice is to add a bluetooth module to the paperwhite, like this
http://www.griffin.net/2010/01/hacki...dx-part-1.html)

-edit, yes it is possible to share it, i want to! just as it is at the moment, as i said above... it is not so customizable, it is only made for 'me', so, before i share it, i will make it more friendly (unless you feel comfortable with compiling for android and just want the source code/project)

Last edited by zxczxc; 06-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote