View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I think it's rather obnoxious to compare copywrite infringement to people getting shot and possible killed.
True... so we'll stop right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
People must make a living, fine. Find another way to do it...
Actually, we don't even have to be talking about a living... though there's no reason why a good writer shouldn't be able to do that, if their work is popular and in high enough demand.

On the other hand, the fact that the internet as-is is difficult to profit from does not make it right to steal from an author who asks to be paid for his work, whether it's a large or small amount of money. That's the real issue here... not the potential size of the income.

In the same way that you have a right to wages from your employer, and a store owner has a right to payment for his goods, an author has a right to be paid what they ask for (or to have their product go unsold until they find a price the market will bear). Those scenarios require contracts or security to make them work. We're just talking about a new scenario, that requires its own protections to work.

Personally, I have serious doubts that I could go online, tell the world "Pay me now for the book I'll give you in 9 months," and expect to see more than a few pennies for it. As business models go, that one would be a bomb. There may be other methods, but few can compete with the good old-fashioned time-honored tradition of paying for a product when you obtain it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote