View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that this is a fair question. People who live near a library might well prefer to get their books there.

I got a reader when I noticed that we had about 12000 books. (We're academics, so actually need a lot of books.) Admittedly, a lot of them were stored in the attic. But I've now sent the public domain books to charity shops, a homeless people's shelter etc, and replaced them with electronic copies. This has freed up a lot of space.
We've had members who are downsizing, moving to boats, caravans, camper vans, or taking extended trips to South American rainforests. Electronic reading makes sense for them.

In addition, I would hesitate to take a huge tome to read on my daily commute. It would just be too heavy. But I can put all of Proust and Dickens on my reader without getting weighted down.

Also, some members with poor vision appreciate being able to choose a large font.

I, personally, don't want to be prescriptive. Electronic readers are useful for some people. Others may not need them. But I just want people to have a choice.

Oh: and welcome to the forum, eGeezer.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote