View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdemers View Post
"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is from Heinlein's so-called middle period (1960 - 1973). Other titles from that period include Time Enough for Love and Stranger in a Strange Land. Well worth reading.
While I'll grant that they were written during the same period, neither of these books is similar to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress in writing style or theme, and I personally didn't like either of them, whereas The Moon is a Harsh Mistress remains one of my all-time favorites, one that I've re-read frequently.

Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy is probably the most "mature" of his "young adult" books; The Rolling Stones is set in the same universe as TMIAHM and has one overlapping character (Hazel Stone). Between Planets and Red Planet both deal with similar issues of colonialism (a popular theme with Heinlein). For non-Heinlein that might be similar in enjoyment, I'd suggest John Barnes' Orbital Resonance. C.J.Cherryh's "Company Wars" books (e.g. Downbelow Station) have some similar themes, but the writing style is usually so different from Heinlein that I'm not sure if you'd like them. I'd recommend Rimrunners and Heavy Time, however. David Brin's "Uplift" series might appeal to you, or perhaps Earth, which is a standalone book.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote