View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The EZ Reader is the US version of the Hanlin V3. It costs $299 until Jan 15th and individuals outside the US can also buy, see EZ Reader Selling all over the world. Note that shipping within the US is via Federal Express, and Astak requires you to be physically present to take delivery.

These are my thoughts on the EZ Reader after about a day. First, orwell2k's BeBook Review - really a great device... should be required reading for anyone wondering if a Hanlin V3 is for them. There is lots of detail in that review, which saves me from repeating most of it here.

The hardware is not snazzy, but it feels very solid. My only complaint is that I don't like covers over USB ports and the USB cable has a cheap feel. The power adapter is a USB charger, so it uses the same USB cable which is a nice touch.

The file navigator shows 8 items per page, can sort by title date or type and includes sub-directory navigation. There is a "recent files" page. File type is indicated with icons, FB2 ebooks list title and author, MOBI only lists title (and should also include author), all others only list the filename. Several of the supported ebook formats (LIT, ePub, ...) include title and author metadata which is not displayed.

One of the features of the Hanlin is that it supports multiple DRM-free formats. However, FB2 and RTF have the best support (no images in RTF though), and support for all other formats suffer in comparison. The FB2 support includes 5 fonts sizes (about the same range of sizes as the 6 font sizes on the Kindle), choice of fonts (including downloaded fonts, which I have not tested), choice of line spacing, and 4-way screen rotation. It also hyphenates. The only features I would like to see added are choice of justification mode (currently always fully justified) and an "always bold" option (although user provided fonts can be heavier than the default ones to get a similar effect). Line margins are fixed, but they are small - which I prefer anyway. FB2 is not widely used in the US, but on a Windows PC Book Designer can convert many DRM-free formats to FB2. When I tried converting a LIT ebook, BD seemed to ignore the LIT''s table of contents and built its own - but the result was ok.

I don't use PDF much, but the EZ Reader's PDF support is adequate. It has three zoom levels, the 1st shows the full page, the 2nd clips the margin white space and this mode may require two pages to view each page, and the 3rd clips and rotates to landscape and so typically requires 2-3 pages turns per PDF page. It would be possible to use the EZ Reader for PDF ebooks formatted for the 6" screen. Image support in PDF seems to be good.

All the other ebook formats I tried had only 3 font sizes (following the 3 zoom levels), and the three sizes do not cover a wide enough range for everyone. I found LIT and ePub support to be marginal at best, with small fonts and several other issues. I would recommend converting them to FB2 or MOBI. HTML support includes displaying images, but I would again convert to FB2 or MOBI.

MOBI is the only format with DRM, and I expect many buyers of the EZ Reader will use it almost exclusively. The EZ Reader is my 4th device with the Java MobiPocket Reader - the others are a PepperPad 3 (a UMPC with a 7" LCD screen), an iLiad and a Kindle. The Kindle is the closest match to the EZ Reader and is probably more familiar than the other to most people. Compared to the Kindle, the EZ Reader has 3 fonts (vs one font) but the fonts available (arial, times, BOOKN) are not as good as the Kindle's Caecilia. It also only has three font sizes, which are approximately the same as the Kindle font sizes 3,4,5 out six. So the EZ Reader's smallest font may be too large for some readers. The margins on the EZ Reader are small, which I like (they are too large on all 3 other devices). Like the others, the line spacing is much too large (same as the Kindle). There is no hyphenation, and all text is fully justified (the Kindle can do left justification). The cover image is available (unlike on the iLiad), but it isn't selectable via the "go to" menu. To find it, go to the 1st page and then go back one more page. Overall, the MOBI support is good enough to be usable. Improvements I would like to see include: a) five fonts sizes, b) customizable line spacing (or narrower line spacing), c) better fonts or downloadable fonts, d) always bold option, e) justification options. Based on availability on other devices: (a) is easy to do, (b) is apparently difficult (none provide this), (c) probably only via better fonts, (d) also apparently difficult but I don't know why, and (e) is available on the Kindle. The PepperPad did support downloadable fonts, but it had a full Java implementation, the other three devices all seem to have limited Java font support.

Overall, I like the EZ Reader. If you don't mind format shifting to FB2 it is very good, and the MOBI support is already "good enough" and I am hopeful that it will improve.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that there is no support for MOBI dictionaries.
I just got mine yesterday and I really don't like the layout of the books. I am thinking of flashing the firmware with the Open Inkblot or Bebook firmware.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote