Thread: Asked vs Said
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
There are no rules. It just how you communicate. Personally, I almost always use "said." It's, as they say, invisible to the reader. If I want to emphasize that it's a question I'll use "asked." Or for moderation's sake every once in a while I'll also use "asked."

For sure, don't stress about it.
I agree. If it's got a question mark, then it's a question and the reader knows they asked, even if you say "said." I think we should be able to use "said" in all cases, but I'll use "asked" once in a while for variety. Since I record my stories, and "asked" is just a little more difficult, especially if you want to pronounce the "k," I probably use it a little less than I otherwise might.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote