View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #544
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
I have no knowledge of the used LED but again, changing the color isn't filtering, we talk about different things.
When you active filter something out,you don't change the color but only remove the blue light by placing something before the led, or over the led.
I do know that the manufacturer just buys batches of LED's and that I have 2 old Glo's who compared next to each other at the same brightness level do have different colors of the screen so different leds are used there.

In Daylight therapy they using light of 1200-1500 lumen at a distance of 20 CM at 30 minutes a day to alter the biologic clock and relief of depression.
Ever tried it (i did) and really try to look into that light ??
Will any led ever come close to this ? Or even he sum of all leds in an e-reader ??
Forget it.. (and then we didn't speak of how much battery power that will consume..)
Average lumen of a 7 watt led is about 500 lumen..

I don't know much people who read with the light of the Glo at maximum but even then it will not become near some value that can really change your biological clock so you have troubles with sleep.

So A they don't do any active filtering so this is a sales talk and B even with all leds at max it is uncomfortable to read but still by far not enough to alter your biological clock,and that was this "filter" supposed to do.

There is just some talk that bright light at short distance can keep you out of sleep, I do believe that that is true, but no e-reader emits that kind of light to really alter it..it is some hoax that they use to sell their "comfort light feature."
I guess we are talking past each other at this point.

I was interested in your initial assertion:

Quote:
... the comfort light of the new reader changes the light from bright Glo HD to the old more yellow of the original HD, that doesn't mean that blue is filtered because it is still there, the led just change in color, that is not a filter. ...
IMO/assertion, the The New Comfort Light Pro could be/potentially not transmitting any (or a negligent amount) blue at all; if there is no blue there, a filter is irrelevant.

Again, look at DNSB's graph: there is very little overlap of the colors. Look at the video I linked to: at the extreme, the color looks like nothing close to any of the other Kobo readers.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote