View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I would like to see is a home screen with the upper row from the new home screen but the dismissable tiles from the old home screen.
That might be an interesting compromise.
Quote:
I like the magnifying glass search icon instead of the bar and the drop down menu for functions though adding back the home button would be my preference.
Removing the wasted space of the search "bar" is right. And overall I like the new top bar and menu a lot better. But, it is missing a home button.
Quote:
OTOH, I am not a user interface designer and I suspect that any attempts on my part would have me emulating Homer Simpson in the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" episode.
Quote:
I have to agree that Kobo needs to avoid falling into the "me too" trap of trying to make their ereader GUI look more like the Kindle GUI but there also seems to be a fairly vocal group complaining about "stale interfaces". Much like the constant complaints that Apple does not completely re-invent the iPhone interface every couple of years while almost every Android phone maker slaps their own modified GUI over Google's GUI. A rather noisy group that prefers eye candy over functionality.
Yes, redesigning for the sake of making it "new" is a waste of time. But, I think Kobo are also trying to make the apps and devices a little more consistent. The new home screen sort of matches that of the recent Android and iOS apps. There's a list of books you are reading across the top and then sections further down the screen for the store type functions. I'm not sure if I like the design overall, but I can sort of see what Kobo are up to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote