View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
When you use fw 15.2 for the 302 you can set up the number of pages, after that the device will update the page.
Sure - but the version I got - and the version the box was marked for was the old version of the firmware. 15.2 has only just been released, of course. I dare say the boxes were made months ago. Perhaps the newer firmware uses up more power?

Quote:
It makes difference, when you dont shut down your PB. If you know, that you have the 302 not in use for a longer time, shut it down.
Perhaps this is the problem? I don't think it would have made all that much difference here - I read from around 6am to midnight or later - turning it off would not have helped all that much, I am thinking.

Quote:
Basically question is if you charged the power 12h before your first use?
Nope - only 'til the meter on the 302 said it was fully charged. You cannot 'overcharge' batteries. Well - not in the sense that charging for longer will give them more life. Once a battery is fully charged, that is it. Perhaps the meter on the 302 is not all that accurate? This could be true - it does seem to recharge very quickly. Perhaps in under an hour even. I was quite surprised at how fast it was.

Quote:
Didnt you do anything else, than reading on your PB? (navigate to books, using any connection, doing anything else on the display)
I read probably 18 hours a day. I used both the touchscreen and the buttons. Depended on how I was holding it at the time. Mostly the touch screen I guess, as the buttons are somewhat awkward to use.

Quote:
The given number of around 8000-16000 pages is an ideal value, but 5000 pages is really to less!
It does NOT say 8-16000. It very plainly says, and I quote "16,000 pages on one battery charge". No caveats - no estimates - no confusion. 16,000. It does not say - 'up to 16,000 on a good day'.

This is a touchscreen unit - if we are not meant to use the touchscreen to get this sort of battery life, then I would hope that somewhere it would say that. I personally don't see that using the touchscreen (as opposed to the buttons) would use up any more power.

I was also out camping - so could not use wireless even if I wanted to! But no - since there is no working browser, I have turned off the wireless feature. Since there is no real use for bluetooth either, that is also turned off.

I only used the menus when I wanted to find the next book to read.

So - I think I read as a fairly typical user - reading perhaps longer than would normally be the case at one time - but doing as a normal reader would. Still I would have expected around even half of what is claimed. I would be happy with 8,000 (the industry standard, it seems).

I am thinking that the battery level meter on the unit is the problem. It can stay at full all day, then very quickly (relatively) drop by 2 bars. It also (by the meter) recharges VERY quickly.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote