View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #114
valeednasir
valeednasir began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Oh boy. I fear, you have to go for a compromise:

1- It should be a good fit for reading "scientific" stuff... (I am suspicious that a 6" display might be too small...but haven't tried it yet)
--> My personal recommendation, and still one of my favorites: iRex iLiad.
Bigger display than most of the others and still highly mobile.

2- Fast (flipping pages, finding words shouldn't take forever )
-->Flipping pages in my opinion is similar on all units, Kindle and Opus are slightly faster, but I've never had any problems with any of my readers.
BUT: "Finding words" is a showstopper for most of the units. Many of them, including iRex, don't have that feature for most of the formats.
Both Kindles aren't too bad in that.

3- Ability to annotate, add notes and bookmarks.
iRex' touchscreen comes extremely handy. Annotating PDFs - brilliant. I love doing Sudoku and Kakuro for example.
On your PC, you can add these "doodles" to your PDF. Or you can use handwriting recognition with acceptable results. It's no tablet PC, too slow for that. But for some comments and annotations, it's okay.

4- Open reading formats - No DRM hassle.
--> Most of the engineering material probably is available as PDF. You can read this on most of the units. Kindle 2 needs conversion.
Most of the readers focus on a single DRM format (Cybook is available in 2 versions, 1 for DRMed .prc, 1 for DRMed .epub) and can read the other common formats DRM-free.

5- Reasonable price
--> What's resonable? For most users, it's up to $300.
With the exception of Kindle DX, iRex iLiad and iRex 1000S, you'll find all the others in that range.

I'd check out iRex iLiad. It's one of the more "professional" units. It's a bit more expensive, but maybe close enough.
The touchscreen has huge advantages and it's display is a bit bigger but it's still a mobile unit.
Kindle 2 and Sony 700 might be an option as well.
You might want to check UMPCs and tablet PCs as well.

Thanks, that was really helpful.

So, now I have narrowed down my options to Kindle DX and ILiad Irex.

Need your final word on that.

Thanks.
valeednasir is offline   Reply With Quote