View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #84
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
I actually was just thinking "how are they going to accomplish watermarking at all?" Your ideas are actually very good. There's only one problem, but let me start with ePUB.

There are obvious meta tags in ePUBs, but that is not a watermark. A watermark works best when it pervades the data, and cannot be destroyed by changing the data. Look up Cinavia to see what I'm talking about; it's actually amazing (and awful at the same time, but in a way that would not effect books). With Cinavia's audio watermark, you can change the audio, make it lossy, make it a different format, change the volume level, add noise, etc., and the watermark remains intact! I don't know if it's been successfully removed yet! Compare that to an ePUB meta tag: you just remove the meta tag, and you've removed the watermark, way to easy!

Your other suggestions are better, and I'm betting it would be something along those lines. But, again, it would have to be pervasive, and non-degradable: eg. adding extra spaces is destroyed by deleting the spaces! Something, for example, that would have to survive breaking the book in to individual chapters; or even possibly individual paragraphs: it would have to stay intact to the point that piracy became impractical.

Okay, all that said to get back to the debate: if you can do this with ePub, you can do it with mobi. Unless they're taking the easy way out with watermarking (meta tag), it can be implemented in any format.

I still want to see Amazon forced to ePUB, but watermarking isn't going to do it.

-Pie
Those ideas were really just stuff that could be done with plain text alone, and yeah some of them could easily be destroyed. Having the images have the watermarking would be much easier and harder to locate. The watermarking methods I've seen on images withstand formatshifts, lossy compression, etc.

Still, nothing can really be done that can't be removed. It isn't quite like with audio that youcould potentially damage things getting the watermark out.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote