View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
lensmann
Connoisseur
lensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy bluelensmann can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
I'm 90% certain I will buy this model, but are there any problems I should know about? Apparently the screen quality can be uneven depending on the device you receive.
The main issues I can think of are:
  • Uneven quality control in relation to backlighting (however, this is no worse than other electronic devices, and you should be able to get a replacement if it is unbearably bad)
  • Slow with PDFs with complex layouts, and in general poorer PDF handling than Kindles.
  • (Relatively) poor performance on highlighting and annotations.
  • Firmware updates sometimes break things (although the most recent release is stable, and it is trivially easy to roll back to an older firmware)

There are many, many pluses to weigh against these - the large and beautifully sharp screen, the ability to set an orange hue to your light at night-time, the ability to sideload fonts, the ability to sideload books, Overdrive integration... and so on and on. I certainly haven't regretted my purchase one bit, even though I personally find the PDF and annotation issues quite irritating.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote