Thread: KOBO Rocks!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #203
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I add this to the CSS in Calibre but am curious - does this give you full lines right to the bottom of the screen on every page? I still see some pages with one blank line at the bottom. And I still see the "long paragraph" and "one page break before the last paragraph at the end of random chapters" bug.
I'm afraid I also get the "Kobo quirks" at some page/chapter ends. It certainly makes an epub better than not doing it, though, because Kobo seems to default to
Code:
body {orphans: 3; widows: 3}
if you don't add anything. This is a bit odd as the normal default is 2.

Quote:
To get line spacing of 1.3 instead of 1.0, what would I change on the Look & Feel page in Calibre? Minimum line height = 130%?
It depends what the particular epub already has in its css file. I think setting Min. line height=130% in calibre Look&Feel means that calibre will make sure that any line height which is <130% will be set to 130% after the conversion and anything greater will be left alone.

I don't use this option myself, I have Min. line height=0% and Line height=0pt
I prefer to selectively delete line-height settings from the css so that I can set it via my various reading devices instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I do have widows and orphans both set to 0 in the body CSS style. Could this be another case of lets ignore it in the body style?
My Kobo Glo has never ignored it in the body style - at least not on any of the fw versions I've used to date. One can never assume what might happen in future Kobo releases though...

The oddity you pointed out is a fairly typical, but totally unpredictable (at least by me), quirk. So I guess my experience is different from ewphoenix123 in this respect. I know that my epubs are well-formatted but I still get 'one-line gaps' at the end of some pages even when the end of the paragraph will easily fit.

I'll try adding p {widows: 0; orphans: 0} as well but I'm not convinced it will fix anything. I'm quite happy to be wrong.

Edit: I did try it and the results don't look to be any different from just having body {widows: 0; orphans: 0} YMMV

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-25-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: update after quick test
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote