View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #86
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Hmm, I've read this resurrected thread and I have to say that for me the Author of a Story is not the same entity as the person that happens to be the author of the story.

I do not know them personally and frankly I do not what to know them. Just like I do not know film stars, singers, composers, sports personalities.

I think that we read stories or listen to music or see films or watch sports primarily for the emotions they raise in us. In that respect authors, actors, singers, composers and sportspeople are more like tools (I mean no disrespect), more like devices through which we get our emotions played with. This is their talent, their calling but ultimately it is only their job.

What has their brilliance (of the ones who have it) got to do with what kind of people they are when they're not working?
Do you know the political or intellectual leanings of your car mechanic, or dentist or the head of your corporation or even of each of your work colleagues?
Do you have any idea if the grocer is or is not a closet fascist or a closet communist? Does it matter that much?

As for refusing to support repugnant ideas with your money, when you are in fact saying that the books themselves do not promote such ideas do you not think that what you are supporting with your money is not the repugnant ideas of the individual OSC (or whichever) but rather the writing of more good stories.

And whatever happened with tolerance and with giving people a chance? I'm an atheist and so my opinions about Mormonism are clear but I do not like Ender's Game any less because I just found out OSC is a Mormon. (What's so bad about Mormons anyway, the US almost elected one as President?)

Would the world not be a pretty boring place if we all shared the same opinions? Maybe I don't see it. I'm up for being enlightened...
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote