View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Nook Glowlight 3 and, while it does have some problems, it's a pretty decent device. And it's screen is superb.

I have 3 new Paperwhites as well as some older Paperwhites and a Voyage. When I put them side by side and compare one of my Paperwhites has a tiny bit less contrast than the other Kindles. It's not a noticeable difference even when comparing. I have to look carefully to see it. When I'm reading they're all perfect.

The Glowlight 3 doesn't have the capacative layer. It has an infra-red touch screen and the capacative layer needed for capacative touch screens does reduce contrast a bit. So the Glowlight 3 has noticeably better contrast than the Kindles.

It also has the problem that the table of contents screens and the dictionary definitions are grayed out, in one of the dumbest design decisions ever. It's very hard to read definitions if you use the dictionary and table of contents are just as bad.

Other than that it's a decent reading device. It doesn't have all the features the Kindles have but it has the features I usually care about and I like it. I still do most of my reading on my Kindles but I use the Nook as well.

If all you care about is screen quality then probably you should look at the Glowlight 3. If you care about the other features we're used to in ereaders I suggest looking at the Paperwhite. It's screen is nearly as good and everything else about it is better.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote