View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I would stick with the Kobo for 2 reasons really important to me- Page numbers from sideloaded books from the library and epub capability. My Glo has perfect lighting and is so easy to use unlike my Kindle.
The Kindle also has page numbers on library books. Any book that has gotten real page numbers at Amazon (and most books I believe are getting those) have them as a library loan -- because on Amazon a loan acts as if you OWN THE BOOK for the duration of the loan. Any feature of the book when it is owned -- page numbers, xray, and most importantly, the ability to download via Wifi DIRECTLY to your Kindle.

Although it could be you don't get any advanced features of Kindle books for ANY books you own as well, if you have an older Kindle. I believe azw3 support, page numbers, xray, popular highlights, and author profiles are only available to Kindle 4th generation and on. Which one do you have?

Also, ePub compatibility means nothing -- in a calibre world, azw3=ePub and ePub=azw3. The only issue with cross-device compatibility is DRM, of which there are three main ones: Amazon, Adobe Adept, and Barnes & Noble. B&N is based on Adept, but from what I hear, no other readers can use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer B&N books to another device, and Amazon books are restricted to Kindles and Kindle apps.
Presumably, then, if you want ePub support for Kindles, it is because you have non-DRM'ed ebooks you wish to put on a Kindle. In which case, download calibre and convert from ePub to Amazon azw3. Once installed, the conversion takes 10 seconds on a SLOW day.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote