View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Did you read the DBW article?
The ARC deployment is a proof of concept *test*.

Nowhere does it say that is the *only* way it will ever be deployed.

All that matters is knowing that the capability is baked into epub3 and it is being used. The rest is up to you.
Yeah, I did read the article and the link to the earlier article (with the unfortunate title "Should Authors and Publishers Spy on Readers?"). I'll concede your point. Post #34 seemed more reasoned than some of the earlier conversation.

I'm guessing if it ever actually does move into the creepy territory, Calibre will quickly have a plug-in to strip javascript from books.

It's worth noting that what this guy and his Jellybooks company is trying to accomplish is already being done by Kobo, who (it sounds like) has no problem selling their user data. Might be worth thinking about if you're a Kobo customer.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-05-2015 at 11:59 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote