View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #26
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
It would be interesting to see the results from installing from a .tar.xz (.txz) archive as this seems to be flying below gatekeepers radar at the moment even on High Sierra and Mojave.
I'm in over my head on this topic, so my ignorance is probably showing.

I'm still on High Sierra, and I think gatekeeper is still catching .txz on my Mac, unless I'm misunderstanding what gatekeeper is.
  • downloaded Sigil 0.9.18 .txz using Safari
  • unpacked txz using the Terminal command
  • copied Sigil app into my Applications folder
  • launched Sigil
  • got a pop-up asking, "Sigil is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?"

When I did the same with the test builds you sent me for 0.9.17, I got a similar message, with the addition that the test build was unsigned, so I needed to confirm that I wanted to open an unsigned app.

This is all with High Sierra. Isn't this gatekeeper in action? or am I using the wrong terminology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you dont download the dmg using safari, it wont trigger gatekeeper as safari is what sets the attributes of the dmg file that tell gatekeeper that the app was downloaded form the internet and needs to be checked ...
I tried the above again except downloading the .txz with Chrome instead of Safari. Got the same result.

Also, all of the above has always happened with Sigil .dmg (which I know is expected behavior)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote