View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #25
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
We also shouldn't have to worry about getting shot. However, since there is that ever-present danger, from our streets to our schools, security steps must be taken to protect individuals.

I realize no one likes DRM or other forms of security. But unfortunately, in a world where people must make a living, and other people are fond of taking things without paying, security of some kind is needed to make the system work (to allow the best producers to willingly produce). Wishing for a security-free world is as impractical as expecting people to just stop stealing.
I think it's rather obnoxious to compare copywrite infringement to people getting shot and possible killed. People must make a living, fine. Find another way to do it. If no-cost copying is killing your old business model, find a new one. How about a patronage system? You get paid up front to write a novel or short story collection which is delivered to your patrons upon completion. If it leaks out, write it off as an advertising cost. There are many digital artists who use just this model to make their skills into something that helps pay the rent. If you get big enough, you might make a living just doing that.
I don't think any one has a right to make a living as a writer. If they can figure out to do it, good. If they can't, they can join the rest of us who actually do some other job (teaching, researching, whatever) to pay the bills.
How many writers of worth actually wrote as their primary means of livelihood? How many of the moderns? How many of the pre-moderns?

What should not be done is some type of invasive "trusted computing" program which restricts my ability to what I want with the property that I paid for with the money that I earned from my labor. And if DRM or some similar system is going to be effective, that's what is going to have to happen.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote